The latest controversy regarding President Donald Trump involves the content of a telephone conversation he had on Jan. 27 with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.
During the call, Trump threatened to send U.S. troops to Mexico, according to a transcript of the conversation that was leaked to The Associated Press.
"You have a bunch of bad hombres down there," Trump allegedly said to the Mexican leader. "You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."
Trump used similar wording during his Oct. 19 debate with Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, when he said, "We have some bad hombres here and we’re going to get them out," reports The Huffington Post. The publication's columnist Carolina Moreno noted that Trump mispronounced it as "bad hambres," which translates as "bad hungers."
It is not clear from the transcript of the Jan. 27 call which "hombres" Trump was referring to, nor was Pena Nieto's response recorded.
The alleged purpose of the communication was to improve the relationship between the two leaders, which has been strained by Trump's repeated demands that Mexico pay for a wall between the two countries, prompting Pena Nieto to cancel his previously planned visit to Washington, which was scheduled for Jan. 31.
In an apparent response to the snub, Trump proposed a 20 percent tax on imports from Mexico to finance the wall.
Mexico's foreign relations department denied the phone conversation was hostile.
"The assertions that you make about said conversation do not correspond to the reality of it," officials said in a statement. "The tone was constructive and it was agreed by the presidents to continue working and that the teams will continue to meet frequently to construct an agreement that is positive for Mexico and for the United States."
Trump, during a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May at the end of January, described the call as "friendly."