A Thai man fell from his balcony onto a metal spike while trying to hang a towel on a clothesline.
Patirat Punudom, 35, finished showering in the early morning hours of Dec. 23 and went out onto his second-floor balcony in Pathum Thani, Thailand, to hang his towel, the Daily Mail reports. He slipped and fell 32 feet, landing on a metal spike.
The tip of the spike narrowly missed his penis and became lodged 7 inches deep into his abdomen. It could be seen pressing against his skin from the inside.
Patirat’s neighbors heard him shout for help and rescue workers were called to the scene.
“We arrived just after 2 a.m. and cut the railings away to free him,” a spokesman for the Ruamkatanyu Foundation said.
He was fortunate that no vital organs were ruptured, which would have caused certain death, neighbors said.
“He almost died. The spike nearly hit important arteries,” the spokesman said. “He could have been bleeding to death.”
Patirat hangs his towel on the balcony every night after showering, according to his father.
“He does it that way every night but slipped this time,” the Ruamkatanyu Foundation spokesman said.
A man in Peterborough, England, also had an impaling accident the same week.
On Christmas morning, an unnamed male in his 20s was found impaled on metal spikes, The Sun reports. He was carefully cut loose and was taken to hospital for treatment.
“We were called out, after a man’s arm had been impaled on some metal railings,” a spokesman for ambulance charity Magpas said. “The Magpas medical team gave the patient, in his 20s, advanced pain relief and sedated him.”
How the man became impaled on the metal spikes has not been revealed.
“The team then worked closely with a Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service crew to remove the man safely from the railing,” the Magpas spokesman said.
He was reported as in a stable condition at the hospital.