Citing insufficient evidence, Los Angeles County prosecutors said on Oct. 19 that they will not file felony charges against a Saudi prince who was arrested Sept. 23 on suspicion of sexual assault at a compound near Beverly Hills.
“The allegations against him are false,” Alan Jackson, attorney for 29 -year-old Majed Abdulaziz Al-Saud, told the Los Angeles Times. “The decision by the D.A.’s office not to file charges shows that the accuser’s stories cannot be substantiated.
"The sheik is very happy to put it behind him and move on with his life.”
Al-Saud was arrested in September at the Beverly Glen compound on suspicion of a female worker to perform oral sex on him inside the home, the Times reported in an earlier story.
Police officers who arrived at the home were responding to a disturbance call, and they reported finding a “party atmosphere” and escorted about 20 people, most of them workers, from the premises.
Al-Saud was freed from jail the following day, after posting $300,000 bail. He has remained in southern California since then.
On Sept. 25, three women filed a civil lawsuit in L.A. County Superior Court against Al-Saud, accusing him of “extreme,” “outrageous” and “despicable” behavior.
The women, only identified as Jane Does in the suit, are seeking unspecified damages, alleging that the prince inflicted emotional distress, assault and battery, sexual discrimination ,and retaliation against workers at the compound.
Los Angeles County prosecutors told the Times that though there was not evidence to pursue felony charges, they did forward the case to the Los Angeles city attorney’s office, who could charge Al-Saud with a misdemeanor.
Officials with the city said they would have to review the case before making a decision about charges.
Photo credit: KTLA News via Los Angeles Times, Google maps