A bomb-like device discovered near a subway station in Oslo, Norway, has been destroyed and a suspect apprehended.

On the evening of April 8, the explosive device was found outside the Groenland subway station, the Associated Press reports. Bars and restaurants in the area were evacuated.

"Every restaurant was being closed," 23-year-old witness Malin Myrvold said. "You could see cops in heavy armor going in every store and restaurant."

"We were trying to see what was going on," she added. "The police were screaming at us to get back inside and stay where we were."

Oslo's bomb squad used a remote-controlled robot to set off a controlled explosion of the one-foot across bomb-like device, according to Reuters. Police Chief Vidar Pederson confirmed that it was an explosive.

"The noise from the blast was louder than our explosives themselves would cause," a police spokesman said.

Forensics experts will be examining fragments of the device to ascertain what it was made of. Given its size, it is believed to have been capable of causing only a limited amount of damage.

Information on the suspect police arrested was not made available. The PST, Norway's security service, will be handling the investigation.

"We're in a very early phase of the investigation," PST spokesman Martin Bernsen said.

"There are several reasons as to why we have taken over the case," Bernsen told the Aftenposten daily, according to the Associated Press. "Now we will secure evidence and make the interviews."

The device was found less than a mile from the Norwegian government buildings that were damaged in a 2011 bombing. Extremist Anders Breivik was responsible for the car bomb attack that killed eight people, according to Reuters. An additional 69 people were killed afterwards when he went on a shooting spree at nearby Utoya island.

The discovery of the explosive comes just one day after neighboring Sweden suffered a truck attack in Stockholm that claimed the lives of four people and injured 15. The suspect in the attack, who is in police custody, is a 39-year-old native of Uzbekistan, the Associated Press reports.

It has been referred to as a terror attack by police.

Norway was put on high alert following the incident.

As of the morning of April 9, police cordons were removed and residents resumed their normal activities in the Groenland neighborhood that has popular restaurants and bars, several mosques, and the city's main police station.

Associated Press via Fox News, Reuters / Photo credit: Egil Fujikawa Nes/Flickr

Popular Video