North Korean diplomats told The Associated Press on July 27 that the U.S. has declared war on North Korea.
On July 6, the U.S. added North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to the official list of sanctioned individuals.
North Korea has interpreted this action as an official declaration of war and, according to Han Song Ryol, director-general of the U.S. affairs department at the North's Foreign Ministry, an overstep of “the red line.”
Han says sanctioning Un represents the U.S.’ third offense toward the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
"The United States has crossed the red line in our showdown..." Han said "...We regard this thrice-cursed crime as a declaration of war."
The U.S. and South Korea join together regularly to practice military exercises. The next joint practice is set to occur later this summer. All military exercises occur south of North Korea’s demilitarized zones and have never sparked serious threats from North Korean leaders.
Han said next month’s annual practice could result in war between the U.S. and North Korea, and that this year’s maneuvers are especially concerning due to the fact that they will include training for invasion of North Korea.
The maneuvers may also train troops for “decapitation strikes" that would affect the countries leaders, including newly sanctioned Kim Jong Un.
Un was one of 11 individuals added to the list in early July, and each of these individuals is responsible for serious human rights violations, according to the U.S. government.
Political leaders of the DPRK made a statement regarding the state of U.S. relations by discontinuing communications from Pyongyang, the nation’s capital, to the U.S. one week after learning the newest additions to the sanctions list.
Han’s recent claims, however, make the message clear.
Han said, “The Obama administration went so far to have the impudence to challenge the supreme dignity of the DPRK in order to get rid of its unfavorable position during the political and military showdown with the DPRK.”