Skip to main content

Newborn Stopped Breathing While Couple Waited Two Hours For A Midwife

A U.K. couple's newborn son reportedly stopped breathing after they waited two hours for a midwife to arrive. Now, the hospital has launched an investigation into how the baby's warning signs were missed.

Caitlin Walsh gave birth to her son Colby Risso after an 11 day labor, according to the Milton Keynes Citizen.

“It was horrible," the 16-year-old mother told the Milton Keynes Citizen. "His heartbeat dropped to 60 beats a minute several times and at the end he needed forceps and suction to get him out."

However, it was immediately obvious something was amiss. Walsh and her 19-year-old partner Jack Risso reportedly noticed the left side of their son’s face drooped and that his eye wouldn’t open correctly.

“The midwives said they’d get him checked out but nothing happened,” she said.

Image placeholder title

Despite reassurances from Milton Keynes Hospital, located in Milton Keynes, England, the couple was discharged and returned to their Bletchley, England, apartment. Two days later, milk began gushing out of Colby’s nose.

“We called the labor ward immediately and told them something was not right," Walsh said. "They said they were busy but promised a midwife would come out to us within two hours."

Within 90 minutes, Colby became listless and he stopped breathing.

“We knew our baby was dying right there in front of us and nobody was there to save him,” Walsh said.

The couple then called an ambulance, which arrived within 11 minutes. Medics were eventually able to resuscitate him at Milton Keynes Hospital and the newborn was later transferred to John Radcliffe at Oxford, but the infant's brain was too damaged for survival. 

Colby’s life support was switched off on July 30. He was 6 days old at the time of his death.

“We feel devastated ... we feel let down," Walsh said. "We feel nobody was there for us when our baby needed help. I don’t think we will ever recover."

The hospital offered their condolences in a statement, but reported the couple hasn’t had contact with the hospital since their son’s death besides a phone call from a bereavement midwife.

The Milton Keynes Hospital reportedly launched an investigation into the incident this week to determine how warning signs about Colby's condition were missed.

Sources: Mirror, Milton Keynes Citizen

Photo Credit: SWNS via Mirror, Milton Keynes Citizen, Bonnie Gruenberg/WikiCommons


Popular Video