A grandfather in England said he might have suffered psychological damage after almost swallowing a slug that was unknowingly in a beer he ordered at a restaurant.
According to reports, 49-year-old Grant Knight was with his wife, Linda Knight, at a restaurant called Harvesters in West Sussex, England, for a friend’s daughter’s birthday party, when he ordered a pint of Strongbow beer.
“We were all chatting and he went to drink his drink, then coughed and spat something back into the glass,” Linda said. “He thought there was a big slice of onion, because it was floating upside down and it was white underneath.”
When Grant examined the mysterious item further, he discovered that it was a large slug. Horrified, Linda took the drink to the manager to complain.
“He was like 'well it probably came in from outside,’” she said. “I told him that it was really not good enough and it could have been a child. If that was a glass of coke we might not have seen it. I asked him what the procedure was, but he didn't have a clue."
According to Linda, the party guests quickly lost their appetites from the disgusting creature. The restaurant reportedly refused to cover Grant’s bill.
After the incident, Linda said the close call with the slug began to have a psychological impact on her husband.
“When he woke up this morning he said he had a dream about it and he woke up thinking about this slug in his mouth,” she said.
“I definitely didn't ask for lemon and slime in my pint,” Grant said. “But I will check every time I get a pint to see if anything else is trying to drink it. I'm also never going back to a Harvesters again.”
A representative for Harvesters ultimately responded to the incident, apologizing for what occurred.
“We apologise [sic] for any upset this has caused the guest when visiting the Harvester at Haywards Heath on Sunday May 24,” the rep said. “The guest was given a substantial discount, which reflected the importance to us of the issue, and a replacement pint of beer at the time."
Photo Credit: Daily Mirror