The Ain al-Asad military base in Anbar province came under attack Friday when ISIS fighters gained entry to the base.
It is reported that 8 suicide bombers intended to blow themselves up, but were immediately killed in a counter attack by ISF forces, according to CBS News.
The ISIS fighters were killed either by Iraqi government forces or by detonating their suicide vests, said Navy Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon spokesman, as reported by the Guardian.
The Ain al-Asad military base is currently housing hundreds of U.S. Marines who are there training Iraqi troops. It is reported that around 400 U.S. troops are currently on the base.
No U.S. or Iraqi troops were injured in the attempted attack.
"Coalition force were several km from the attack and at no stage were they under direct threat from this action," said a statement from the U.S. coalition, the IB Times reports.
Admiral Kirby said an estimated 20 to 25 ISIS militants were involved in the attack on the Ain al-Asad air base.
“Early indications are that yes, some of them did detonate their vests, detonate themselves,” Kirby said. “And then they were followed by roughly something on the order of 15 or so other fighters,” according to the Guardian.
The base had been under attack by ISIS in the days leading up to the attempted suicide bombing but no signs of damage or injuries had been reported.
It is unclear how the attackers managed to gain access to the base. According to CBS News, the base is secured by ‘an approximately 12-mile-circumference security fence around the base, which includes watch towers, barbed wire, and a bridged entrance over a river.’