UK Prime Minister Criticizes Trump Over London Attack

Author:
Publish date:
UK Prime Minister Criticizes Trump Over London Attack Promo Image

British Prime Minister Theresa May criticized President Donald Trump's response to a bomb blast in London that is being treated as a terrorist attack by police.

The bomb, which was placed in a passenger car of a subway train, went off in the morning of Sept. 15, injuring 29 people, according to the Independent.

Trump responded via Twitter.

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist," he wrote, according to MSNBC. "These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!"

He went on to suggest that the bombing provided an argument for the expansion of one of his major policy initiatives.

Image placeholder title

"The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific – but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!" he wrote.

May was not happy with the president's comments, which suggested that the British police could have done more.

"I never think it's helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation," she said.

Nick Timothy, a former chief adviser to May, went on Twitter to criticize Trump's assertion that the perpetrators of the attack were known to Scotland Yard: "True or not - and I'm sure he doesn't know - this is so unhelpful from leader of our ally and intelligence partner."

Image placeholder title

Scotland Yard announced it would deploy 1,000 additional armed police as authorities seek to locate the bomber. Britain's terror alert level was also increased from "severe" to "critical," suggesting another attack is imminent.

"Our investigation is continuing at speed and our priority is to identify, locate and arrest those responsible," Metropolitan Police Acting Commander Mark Rowley said, according to the Independent.

Rowley added that officers were questioning witnesses to the attack.

"The device and remnants left at the scene have been taken away and are being examined by forensic experts," he added. "While this work is ongoing, there is no doubt in my mind that those responsible intended to cause great harm and injury."

Trump also called for the adoption of additional security measures.

"Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner," added Trump. "The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better."

Trump has previously called for the internet to be shut down.

"We're losing a lot of people because of the internet," Trump stated during the presidential election campaign. "We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening."

"We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some ways," he added. "Somebody will say: 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

Sources: MSNBC, Independent(2), Nick Timothy/Twitter / Featured Image: The White House/Flickr via Wikimedia Commons / Embedded Images: The White House/Flickr via Wikimedia Commons, U.S. Department of State/Flickr via Wikimedia Commons

Popular Video