Being a fighter, Hughes wants to get back in the cage at least once more so that he may go out on a win. His wife would rather not see him take any more damage, so Hughes is leaving the final call up to UFC president Dana White. As the venerable former champ recently told MMAJunkie:
I'm at a crossroads between fighting another fight or retirement. I'm 38, and I keep getting older, and the fighters keep staying the same age. I wanted the fall and spring off, and now it's time to talk with DW.
If Hughes does end up back in the Octagon, he's got someone eagerly awaiting his presence.
Outspoken British fighter Dan Hardy has a beef with Hughes related to the glee with which he hunts for sport. Hardy has spoken out against Hughes over Twitter and recently appeared on MMAWeekly radio with Damon Martin, where he expressed great respect for Hughes the fighter, and great disdain for Hughes the man.
I would love to figure that out, that blood thirsty kill freak. I can't stand the dude… The thing is, at this stage in his career, I know he's past his peak. I know he's not looked great in his last few fights, and maybe he's kind of winding down. I would love to fight him and, if he was willing to take the fight, I would by all means love to get in there and put it on him, but I'm not going to chase after the guy cause he has passed his peak and he may not want to a fight against someone who doesn't like him as much as me.
On a four-fight losing streak, Hardy is currently on deck to face a different veteran in Duane "Bang" Ludwig this May at UFC 146.
- "Bellator 62" Weigh-In Results: Eric Prindle Awarded Tourney Title
- Dan Henderson Coy On Denial Of Shogun Rematch
- UFC 149 Gets Jose Aldo For Headliner
- Video: Brian Stann Recounts "Operation Matador"
- UFC On FOX 3 Final Lineup Official With Ferguson-Tavares
- FOX Execs Attempt To Tailor Joe Rogan's Commentating
- Rampage's TRT Use Leading To More TUE Requests
- Rashad Evans Fighting For More Than The Belt
- Video: "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode 3 Preview
- Jordan Smith Replaces Brian Foster At Bellator 63
- Trio Of Fights Booked For "UFC On FX 4"
- Michael Bisping Feels Tim Boetsch Is "Harder Fighter" Than Mark Munoz
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.