It was reported earlier this week on UFC Tonight that former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields would return to the weight class, this time in the UFC. However, in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, Shields made it know that things are not set in stone yet concerning a move.
"Right now, I'm trying to bulk up and see how I feel," Shields said. "It's not 100-percent, but I'm waiting to see on an opponent and then I'll take it of course, and I just felt like cutting weight makes you feel a little weak. I'm certainly not against it and I'm kind of leaning towards making a fight at 185."
Shields entered the UFC's welterweight division and secured a shot at champion Georges St-Pierre by defeating Martin Kampmann. Shields lost to GSP, and was knocked out by Jake Ellenberger in his next match. The Cesar Gracie fighter rebounded to defeated Yoshihiro Akiyama earlier this year.
As for his return to action, Shields informed the UFC that he'd like to have a fight in place for late in July or early in August, adding, "I'm in no rush. If they call with an opponent at 85, I'd take it right now cause I'll have enough time to bulk up. I'm not opposed to fighting at 70. If they call with a good offer for a fight at 70, then I'd take that, as well."
- "Amazon Forest Combat 2" Results: Trio Of Ex-UFC Fighters Earn Wins
- Jon Jones On Rashad Evans: "Rashad's Just A Pawn In This Game"
- Gian Villante-Derrick Mehmen Slated For "Strikeforce: Barnett Vs. Cormier"
- "WMMA: McCorkle Vs. Heden" Results: Sean McCorkle Stopped In Main Event
- Video: Champion Vs. Contender: Ronda Rousey Interviews Alistair Overeem
- Despite Two Previous Losses, Rich Franklin Feels Like He Can Defeat Anderson Silva
- Brock Lesnar Has Reportedly Signed With The WWE
- Video: "ONE FC 3: War Of Lions" Event Available For Online Viewing
- Erick Silva-Charlie Brenneman Added To "UFC On FX 3"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.