UFC president Dana White loved the main event UFC 155 last Saturday, and was surprised to see the heavyweights going the full five rounds. In the fight, Cain Velasquez (11-1) dominated Junior dos Santos (15-2), winning each round en route to a unanimous decision win.
"I would have bet everything I own that this fight would never go five rounds and I'd be broke right now," said White to FUEL TV. "Good thing I didn't bet."
The fight was a rematch from their UFC on FOX 1 meeting. That time, Santos needed less than two minutes to win the heavyweight title. In the rematch, Velasquez struck quickly and took the fight to the canvas early own. White, who had no complaints about the fight, although he thought that Velasquez could have ended it by the second round.
"I think that Cain Velasquez could have stopped it in the second round," said White. "He could have let his hands go in any of those flurries, anywhere from the second to the fifth, and the ref probably would have jumped in. But Cain was fighting the safe fight, he wanted that belt, and it was a great fight."
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.