Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua thought he had his next fight in order. Rua was signed to meet Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in a rematch of a fight years ago.
However, Jackson decided to undergo double-knee surgery, postponing the meeting with Rua. After that, word came that UFC president Dana White was trying to put "Shogun" and Dan Henderson together in a rematch of a thriller from last year.
Again, that fell through. Now, Rua must sit and wait to see what the UFC tries to come up with next, while hoping it involves a fight in Brazil later this summer.
"I'm waiting for a definition," said Rua, in a recent interview with Tatame.com. "I might fight in June or July, that's when I hope to fight, but for now, there's no opponent in mind. I dream about being part of this card (coming to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), even because it's a huge event. I would really like to be a part of it."
UFC 147, which is planned for Rio on June 23, already boasts Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen II for the UFC middleweight title and Ultimate Fighter: Brazil coaches Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort in a rematch. Adding Rua could make it one of the most talked about cards of the year.
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller On Fighting C.B. Dollaway: "If I Lose To Him, I'm Quitting"
- Tatsuya Kawajiri Wants To Prove A Point At "ONE FC: War Of The Lions"
- Bellator Heavyweight Title To Be Defended By Cole Konrad At "Bellator 65" Vs. Eric Prindle
- Video: UFC Champ Junior Dos Santos Experiences Breakthrough Vs. Fabricio Werdum
- "ONE FC: War Of The Lions" Weigh-In Results
- Melvin Guillard-Fabricio Camoes Set For "UFC 148"
- Tavares Injured, Michael Johnson To Face Tony Ferguson At UFC On FOX 3
- Bellator 63 Weigh-In Results; Welterweight Tourney Official
- Dan Hardy Weighs In On Nick Diaz
- Video: Fedor Loses Sumo Match
- Match Up Alerts: Tibau-Nurmagomedov, Garcia-Grice, Viera-Arantes
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.