Renan Barao remains in the dark in regards to his next fight. Barao, who recently defeated Urijah Faber to claim the interim UFC bantamweight championship, is hoping for a match to unify the belt with Dominick Cruz.
The problem there, however, is that Cruz is still sidelined for an extended period due to knee surgery. "The Dominator" is slated to return to action in early 2013, which would keep Barao on the shelf for several months himself.
"The first thought is to fight for the official belt, which is now with Dominick Cruz," said Barao's manager, Andres Pederneiras, during a recent interview with Tatame.com. "Of course, he is a UFC employee and will do whatever they tell him to, but the way we see it, there's no other fight but Dominick Cruz."
Barao has mentioned being up for a fight with anyone the UFC wants, but added that he would prefer to face Cruz next.
- Chael Sonnen Will Face Forrest Griffin In December
- Video: Preview For Second Episode Of "All Access: Ronda Rousey"
- Brian Stann Fires Back At Alexander Shlemenko's Comments
- Alexander Shlemenko Says UFC Fighters Use Injury To Dictate Fights, Calls Out Brian Stann
- ONE FC Releases Complete Fight Card For Next Event
- Bellator Title Fight Between Pat Curran-Patricio Freire Off
- Experience Comes First, Then Championship Gold For Erick Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.