Many wondered if the decision to not pair Alexander Gustafsson up with any of the light heavyweights competing this weekend was a way to leave him out as the next contender to the title. Instead, we found out Monday that the UFC has other plans for Gustafsson, and will crown a No. 1 contender at UFC on Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera.
While Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Brandon Vera square off in the main event this Friday night with a future title shot hanging in the balance, Gustafsson remains idle and without a next opponent.
"He is ready for a big fight," said UFC president Dana White, when asked about Gustafsson Monday during a conference call. "We will get him lined up with one of the top guys and find out where he fits in."
Gustafsson has won five consecutive fights since a submission loss to Phil Davis in 2010. Earlier this year, he defeated Thiago Silva, earning a decision victory.
- Report: Jon Fitch, Erick Silva Added To UFC 153
- John Dodson Vs. Jussier Da Silva At UFC On FX 5
- UFC Prepping Alexander Gustafsson For Major Fight
- Lyoto Machida Not Concerned With Decision To Make Rua-Vera No. 1 Contender Match
- Patricky Pitbull To Face Eddie Alvarez This October In Bellator
- Ryan Bader Feels Like He Is In The Thick Of Light Heavyweight Title Talk
- Jon Jones Responds To News Of Rua-Vera Becoming No. 1 Contender Match
- High Stakes Added To UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera Main Event
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.