When Alistair Overeem was handed down his punishment for indiscriminate testosterone use by the NSAC this past April, it seemed a little too convenient that his suspension would run out just in time for the UFC's annual New Year's Eve blowout.
Lo and behold, the hulking Dutchman announced his intentions today to get back in the cage immediately upon the conclusion of his suspension, which runs out on December 27.
I'll be fighting again in December and mark my words, I'll be back.. to get the belt, sooner rather later.
Overeem was on the fast-track to the title after demolishing Brock Lesnar at last year's New Year's Eve show, but was knocked off course after registering a 14-to-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio on a surprise pre-fight drug test administered ahead of his planned title shot against Junior dos Santos.
At his hearing before the NSAC, Overeem blamed the altered ratio on a mysterious 'tetra mix' injection he was administered by a plastic surgeon with a shady past to help him train through a nagging rib injury. According to Overeem, he never asked exactly what was in the mix and the doctor never thought to tell him.
- "Feijao" Cavalcante Popped For Stanozolol, Files Appeal With CSAC
- Martin Kampmann: “GSP’s Got The Real Belt… The Real Champ Is Still GSP”
- Michael Bisping Makes His Silva - Sonnen II Pick
- Alistair Overeem Intent On December Return
- "Countdown To UFC 147" Premieres Tonight
- Rousimar Palhares In For Luiz Cane Against Yushin Okami
- With Win Over Josh Neer, Mike Pyle Fancies Himself A Contender
- Mike Russow Talks Under The Radar Status, Bout With Werdum This Saturday
- Wanderlei Silva Not Planning To Retire Anytime Soon
- Carlos Condit Talks Jon Jones' DUI
- Takeya Mizugaki Vs. Jeff Hougland Set For UFC 151
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.