Last night's Bellator 83 ran into some unexpected trouble. Right before Shahbulat Shamhalaev (11-1-1) and Rad Martinez (14-2) were set to fight in the finals of the Season 7 featherweight tournament, Bjorn Rebney informed the live audience that the fight had been postponed. Rebney said Shamhalaev became ill backstage and the two would meet on next week's show.
After the event, Rebney went on that the fight may be pushed to an even further date.
"My hope is we can do it [on Friday at Bellator 84]," said Rebney. "However, that will depend on a few factors, including Rad and other things. But we hope we can do it."
Bellator 84 takes place from the Horseshoe Casino Hammond in Hammond, Ind. It will be the final Bellator show of the year. Starting in January, the promotion moves to its new network Spike TV.
- Initial Ratings Strong For UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz
- Sara McMann Denies Ronda Rousey Rumor
- Tamikka Brents Flaunts Her LGBT Community Presence
- Video: Rory MacDonald Vs. BJ Penn From UFC On Fox 5
- Video: Highlights From Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Vs. Alexander Gustafsson At UFC On Fox 5
- UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz Live Gate, Attendance Figures
- Benson Henderson To Rest Of Lightweight Division: "I'm Not Going Anywhere"
- Rory MacDonald Upset He Didn't Finish BJ Penn, Discusses Carlos Condit
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.