Eddie Alvarez's (24-3) future remains in the dark after Bjorn Rebney revealed that the UFC has not offered the former lightweight champion a contract. Alvarez has been a free agent now for about six weeks and has yet to be offered a UFC contract, which many believe is only a matter of time.
"If they make an offer we'll sit back and analyze it and make a decision in short order whether we're going to match it," said Rebney to MMA Weekly.
The way Bellator's contract system works is that a fighter must inform them what another promotion is offering. Bellator then has the opportunity to resign the fighter by matching the offer.
Alvarez was 8-1 for Bellator, where he won the inaugural lightweight championship. His only loss was when he dropped the title. Since then he finished his last two fights within the first round.
Rebney said he last spoke to Alvarez on Sunday and there are no updates.
"Ed wants to see what the UFC would put down on paper in terms of a guarantee, and I would do the same if I were Ed," said Rebney. "Ed will either be fighting inside of our circle or inside of their Octagon."
- Lavar Johnson Injured, Out Of UFC On Fox 5 Fight With Brendan Schaub
- Bellator 82 Weigh-In Results: Welterweight Finals Made Official
- UFC "Road To The Octagon" Debuts This Sunday
- Ronaldo Souza-Lorenz Larkin Booked For Strikeforce: Champions
- Frank Shamrock: Bas Rutten Put Me On The Map
- Next ONE FC Event Announced
- Heather Clark Ready For The Big Leagues
- Chris Weidman Updates Status Post-Surgery
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.