The 'UFC Japan Series,' that would see several small events be held in the country next year, may have been a premature announcement on Japanese news outlet Nikkan Sports part as nothing has been finalized.
"I think some items they printed were exaggerated or taken out of context," said Mark Fischer, executive vice president and managing director of UFC Asia to MMA Fighting. "All really [is] just pure speculation at this point."
The initial report stated that the UFC planned to host several 5,000 seat venues in 2013.
"I want to foster Japanese world-class fighters," said Fisher. "In Japan, which can be called the birthplace of mixed martial arts, I want to do an event on a regular basis."
- UFC Gearing Up For Japan-Based Series Of Events In 2013
- Jon Jones Asks Rashad Evans If He Is Becoming A "Brother" To Vitor Belfort
- Anderson Silva Admits He Didn't Finish Thales Leites Because "He's A Friend"
- Amanda Nunes-Cat Zingano Added To Strikeforce Event In September
- "Countdown To UFC 152" Debuts September 18
- TUF Vet Josh Ferguson Released From UFC
- Update On King Mo's Knee Injury, Timetable For Return
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.