Bellator Bantamweight Champion Eduardo Dantas (14-3) may have lost to Tyson Nam (12-4), but he's still champion. Dantas was given permission to fight outside of Bellator by Bjorn Rebney because he figured it would keep him active. He last fought in April of this year.
"Dantas is going to stay sharper fighting than not fighting, so I wanted him fighting," said Bjorn Rebney to MMA Junkie.
The loss came via KO at Shooto Brazil 33: Fight for BOPE II, a fundraiser for Rio de Janeiro's military special forces.
"Dantas wanted to fight [in Brazil],"said Rebney. "He called us, and I had no problem with that. I let Hector [Lombard] fight [outside the organization] when he was here. I let Eddie [Alvarez] fight overseas. I've let Alexander Shlemenko fight four or five times outside the organization."
He is expected to defend his title against Marcos Galvao (13-5-1) on November 2 at Bellator 79.
- Luke Rockhold Set To Return Sooner Than Expected
- Vitor Belfort "Joyful" To Fight Jon Jones, Blasts Fighters Who Have Become "Divas"
- Dana White Says There's Only One Difference Between Fighting Henderson And Sonnen
- Chael Sonnen Rips "Selfish Brat" Jon Jones For Refusing Fight
- Video: Bellator 73 Highlights Feature Quick Finishes
- Fear The Fighter Steps Up To Help Finance Eddie Yagin
- Joe Lauzon Requested Bout With Gray Maynard
- Cung Le Back Training, Says Foot Remains "Sore"
- Jones' Striking Coach Hints That Chael Sonnen Had Been Training For Weeks
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.