"I was training back in my hometown, Cedar Rapids (Iowa)," Koch said. "I was there for a family reunion. I decided to get a little extra training in. We had a really hot, sweaty practice and I was grappling on a wrestling mat. I was trying to pass someone's guard and my toes got caught on the wrestling mat and my knee ended up going in an awkward way."
Koch, who has not competed in over a year due to injuries, said he "heard a pop" in his knee. The leg got really stiff and "pain came about 20 minutes later." Koch said after four weeks of rehab he should be fine to return to training.
It turned out that Koch wouldn't have faced Aldo anyway, as "Scarface" pulled out of a bout with Frankie Edgar on Tuesday due to an injury.
- Lyoto Machida Tweets Out A "Big Surprise" Is In The Future; Wanderlei Silva Hints At UFC 153 Fight
- Fabio Maldonado Wants To Face Glover Teixeira In Brazil, Teixeira Willing To Face Anyone
- UFC Confirms TUF: India, Show To Begin In 2013
- Jose Aldo "Very Sad" For Having To Pull Out Of UFC 153
- Frankie Edgar Willing To Fight Whenever The UFC Wants Him To
- If Asked, Urijah Faber All For Facing Frankie Edgar
- Joe Lauzon Proves He Asked For Gray Maynard First
- Roger Hollett Back In To Face Matt Hamill At UFC 152
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline