Wanderlei Silva hasn't always seen eye-to-eye with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Still, Wanderlei hopes Anderson takes Chael Sonnen out Saturday night in the main event of UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.
"I'd like him to punish Sonnen and smash him out for me and all Brazilians," said Wanderlei, in a recent interview with Tatame.com. "I guess he went too far and he deserves to be punished. I hope that Anderson not only wins, but punches him a lot."
Sonnen has made a name for himself at the expense of Brazilian fighters such as Anderson, Wanderlei and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. His verbal attacks even revealed an aggressive Anderson in recent weeks.
"I guess the champ's star is going to shine," Wanderlei said. "He's very prepared and one of Anderson's best skills is to train. He trains a lot. He's one great example for new fighters."
- Matt Serra Wants Final Fight To Be With Matt Hughes
- Anthony Pettis Would Gladly Take Spot As TUF Coach
- UFC 148: Silva Vs. Sonnen II FightLine Predictions
- Several Salaries Released For UFC 148: Silva Vs. Sonnen II
- UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Sounds Off On UFC 148 Weigh-Ins
- Video: Anderson Silva Throws Shoulder Into Chael Sonnen, Challenger Doesn't React
- Forrest Griffin Ready To Relax Hours Before Facing Tito Ortiz
- Anderson Silva "Better Than I Give Him Credit For," Says Chael Sonnen
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.