"I have history in the UFC," said Belfort on UFC Tonight. "Not like all the other clowns talking on Twitter. You know which clown I'm talking about. I think he doesn't deserve a shot at all, but I think the event should continue with another fighter. I don't know what happened, but I am thankful that the fight came to me. I am really thankful to Lorenzo and Dana for giving me the chance and to the fans."
Sonnen made the call to move up to the light heavyweight division after losing a rematch to Anderson Silva (32-4) for the middleweight championship earlier this year. He was penciled in as a last minute replacement against Jon Jones (16-1) at UFC 151, before the entire card was cancelled. He is expected to fight Forrest Griffin (19-7) at UFC 155. Belfort fights Jones for the championship at UFC 152.
"Chael is trying to move up in weight and give up on his weight class, that's the way I see it," said Belfort.
- Glover Teixeira Draws Fabio Maldonado For October Brazil Card
- Anderson Silva-Stephan Bonnar Light Heavyweight Affair New UFC 153 Main Event
- Chris Leben Returning To Octagon This December To Face Karlos Vemola
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Returning At UFC 153 To Face Dave Herman
- Vitor Belfort Calls Chael Sonnen A Twitter Clown
- Report: Bellator Heavyweight Champion Cole Konrad Retires
- Cyrille Diabaté Looks For The Decision, Not Knockout In Fight With Fábio Maldonado
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline