Vinny Magalhaes (10-5-1 NC) thinks he has the answer to solve the puzzle of how to beat current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (17-1). Magalhães is going to be training with Jones' next opponent Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) and will be working on submitting the champion.
"After watching Jon's last fight, I feel Chael is likely to submit Jones," said Magalhães on MMA Prime. "Jones has excellent overall game, is an incredible athlete and he's super young. His ground is a little suspect."
Magalhães was referencing Jones' fight in September where the champion was locked in an armbar early in round one and barely escaped. Jones finished the fight early in round four with a submission win of his own.
"In his last fight he got caught in an armbar by a guy who is not known to have great jiu-jitsu, even for MMA," said Magalhães. "I don't think Jones could handle a guy with incredible guard. I'm going to work on that with Chael."
Jones and Sonnen will coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, before competing in April for the championship. The fight will be Sonnen's debut as a light heavyweight.
After winning in his UFC return last month, Magalhães is now on a six fight win streak. In his original UFC outing, he lost both fights before being released.
- Josh Koscheck Reports Possible Nick Diaz Fight
- Gilbert Melendez Could Go To UFC "Anytime" Says Cesar Gracie
- UFC On Fox 5 Loaded With 13 Bouts
- Change Made To UFC 154 Fight Card Lineup
- WSOF Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz Promises Every Card Will Be Packed With Action
- Strikeforce’s Evangelista Santos Jumps Ship To Legacy FC
- Tim Gorman Goes From Bar Fighter To Championship Contender
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.