Faber, a former champion in the now-defunct WEC, plans to remain in the bantamweight division going forward. He is also hoping to return to action before the year ends, according to his manager, Mike Roberts.
"He'd like to compete one more time (this year) and earn his way back to the top," said Roberts, in an interview with MMAWeekly Radio.
Faber was denied an opportunity to face Dominick Cruz for a third time after Cruz was injured. That created the interim title, and placed Barao in the match. Roberts feels like there is still interest in a Faber-Cruz encounter.
"They're a ways away from putting that fight together," Roberts said, "but Urijah's going to do his best to get right back to the top."
- Michael Bisping On Possible Light Heavyweight Return
- Report: Frank Mir-Daniel Cormier Set For November 3
- Daniel Cormier Says Tim Sylvia's Name Was Among Those Discussed For Strikeforce Fight
- Jose Aldo Involved In Accident, Escapes With No Serious Injuries
- Renato "Babalu" Sobral Slated For Bellator Debut Next Year
- Bellator Wants More Action From Its Champions Starting In 2013
- Jon Jones Doesn't Care If You Hate Him
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.