Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei Silva and the rest of the Brazilian MMA community may disagree, but Urijah Faber doesn't care. "The California Kid" believes the sport of MMA needs guys like Chael Sonnen.
During a recent question and answer session, Faber was asked about Sonnen. The UFC No. 1 middleweight contender will meet UFC champion Anderson Silva Saturday night in the main event of UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.
"I think this sport needs guys like Chael Sonnen," Faber said (thanks to MMAWeekly.com for transcribing). "He probably won't admit (to switching from a quiet fighter to the Sonnen of now), but the guy made a switch and decided, hey, I'm gonna stand out in this sport. I'm gonna create my own opportunities and he does it in an interesting way that people either really hate or really love."
Faber was originally scheduled to be part of the card with Silva-Sonnen, but has since been moved to the main event of UFC 149. He will compete for the interim UFC bantamweight title against Renan Barao on July 21.
- Days Before Fight With Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen Goes Off On Belfort, Wanderlei
- Nick Diaz Fined $79,500 From His UFC 143 Purse
- Dana White Confirms Silva-Sonnen II Almost Didn't Happen
- Miesha Tate Returning August 18 Against Julie Kedzie
- Video: UFC 148: Silva Vs. Sonnen II By The Numbers
- Tito Ortiz Is Leaving Fighting, Not MMA, After "UFC 148"
- Urijah Faber On Chael Sonnen: "This Sport Needs Guys Like Chael Sonnen"
- Charges Dropped Against UFC Octagon Girl Arianny Celeste
- Chael Sonnen Sounds Off On Radio Host, Hangs Up
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.