UFC president Dana White updated the status of the UFC's bantamweight division during an appearance on UFC Tonight Tuesday.
With the recent news that division champion Dominick Cruz suffered a torn ACL and will be on the sidelines for several months, White confirmed that Urijah Faber will compete for the interim title at UFC 148 on July 7. However, no opponent was named for Faber.
Among those likely to be considered are Renan Barao, Ivan Menjivar and Michael McDonald. Barao and Menjivar are set to meet at UFC 148, while McDonald is coming off a KO defeat over Miguel Torres last month.
White also said Cruz would remain as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter: Live along with Faber. The show winds up here in the coming weeks.
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson For UFC Light Heavyweight Title Going Down September 1
- Video: Jeremy Stephens' Latest UFC On Fuel TV 3 Vlog
- Joe Lauzon Vs. Terry Etim At UFC On Fox 4
- Bellator Inks Wrestling Standout Shanon Slack
- Two Heavyweight Bouts Added To UFC On Fox 4
- Jose Aldo Up For The Challenge Posed By An "Excited" Erik Koch
- "UFC 149: Aldo Vs. Koch" Announcement Presser Notes And Quotes
- Video: UFC 149 Press Conference
- Video: Hector Lombard Appears On "UFC Tonight" To Talk Brian Stann Fight
- Ex-UFC Fighter Chris Lytle Not Voted Into Indiana Senate
- Benson Henderson's First Title Defense Set For UFC 150 Against Frankie Edgar
- Urijah Faber To Compete For UFC Interim Bantamweight Title
- Nephew Of Anderson Silva To Compete Saturday At "Lion Fight Muay Thai VI"
- Papy Abedi Will Seek First UFC Win Vs. Rick Story At "UFC On FX 4"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.