he UFC held their traditional pre-fight press conference today for UFC 149 at Flames Central in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
In attendance was UFC President Dana White, as well as main card fighters, Urijah Faber, Renan Barao, Tim Boetsch, Hector Lomabrd, Cheick Kongo and Shawn Jordan.
- What Nick Ring was awesome. It’s a great story. I’m not too crazy about our guys running around being crimefighters all the time. We’re honored to have a guy like Nick in the UFC.
- The two fights that really, really mean the most, obviously the main event. If you look at Urijah Faber, the only guy to ever beat Dominick Cruz and Barao is on a 30 fight win streak. This isn’t hype here today. You guys know what I think of Yushin Okami, I’ve said he’s one of the best for a long time and now Boetsch finished him and he’s fighting a guy on a 25 fight win streak. I’m excited.
- When Cruz got hurt, Faber actually asked for Barao.
- The guy’s on a 25 fight win streak. He moves forward. He’s an exciting fighter and people love him. I was just in Australia for three days and that was all I heard about for three days.
- We’re still working on it. France is one of the places we’re very adamant about opening up. We will open up.
- I’m always open to guys defending their title.
- We’ve got plans. That’s all I’ve been talking about for four days with Joe Silva. We’ll see who wins on Saturday and I’ve got a lot of answers in the middleweight division. This next 6-7 months is going to be a really fun time for the division.
- I thought Canada would get done first out of all the countries. Harass Tom Wright about TUF Brazil
- As far as I know, Georges St. Pierre is going to fight at UFC 154 in Montreal.
- We’re going to China in November and we’re working on India and The Ultimate Fighter in four countries in teh next year. There’s a lot going on.
- We’re coming back to Calgary again. We will be back.
- If we ever do add another division any time soon, it’ll be a lighter one like 115 pounds.
- You don’t get a win streak like that without being mentally strong. I remember my first opportunity, I was super excited and motivated.
- I think there’s some similarities to Aldo, but a lot of differences also. I imagine Barao has some leg kicks planned, some knees and kicks. He has some diversity in his game but when he gets to crunch time, he’ll go to boxing and jiujitsu.
- The change was early enough to where it didn’t really bother me. There’s been so much turmoil with this camp. If this were the real world and I was gonna fight this guy and he pissed me off on the street, I wouldn’t be worrying about anything else.
- The week has been great. I feel fine. I feel comfortable and I’m ready for Saturday.
- No, there’s no pressure. I’m calm and relaxed.
- I actually said I would not leave Jose Aldo for his fight, but that is just talk.
- He can say whatever he wants. We’ll find out who the better fighter is on Saturday.
- I’m very happy and excited for this opportunity. I’ve been working very hard for this and I will make the most of it.
- He’ll have to change his plans after Saturday
- Yes I do want to fight Mark Munoz, but we’ll be talking about that after Saturday night.
- I feel Saturday night, you guys are gonna see what I’m all about. You’ll see what I can do in the cage.
- It’s an honor to be here in Canada.
- I will do my best. If he’s ready for the bout, I’m ready too. I trained really hard for this fight. Saturday night will be a war.
- I’m not a gatekeeper, I’m just a fighter who trains his best. Sometimes I make mistake. I was so proud to say yes and do the right thing. I will do my best. I have a dream like everyone and I’m gonna get it.
- I love food too much for 205 pounds.
- It’s a huge opportunity and it’s really exciting for me right now. I’m getting to compete one of the top heavyweights for the last 6-7 years and this is a good opportunity to get to show that I belong.
- A win over Cheick gives me an opportunity to fight again.