Urijah Faber wanted to face Dominick Cruz for the UFC bantamweight title this past weekend at one of the biggest UFC events ever. Instead, Faber will settle for meeting Renan Barao for the interim title on July 21 in the main event of UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao.
Cruz was forced out of the planned fight due to a knee injury suffered in training. The two rivals were coaches on the first live season of The Ultimate Fighter, and were slated to take the co-main event slot at UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.
For Barao, this will be the ultimate challenge, as the 25-year-old has topped Scott Jorgensen, Brad Pickett and Cole Escovedo since joining the UFC. His last, and only loss, came back in his debut fight in 2005.
Faber is 26-5 and the former poster boy for the WEC. "The California Kid" lost to Cruz last year for the title, but submitted Brian Bowles to earn another shot before the injury knocked Cruz out.
Check out the video below for a preview for the Faber-Barao encounter from Calgary, Alberta, Canada:
- Mark Munoz Will Call For Shot At Anderson Silva With Win Over Chris Weidman
- Coach For Chael Sonnen Will Not Appeal Loss, Wants Fans To Push For Third Match
- Chael Sonnen Headed To The Back Of Middleweight Line
- UFC 148 Medical Suspensions For Several Fighters Including Sonnen, Griffin
- Quinton "Rampage" Jackson To Face Glover Teixeira At UFC 153
- Russia The Next Target For The UFC's Global Conquest
- Forrest Griffin Tops UFC 148 Salaries
- Dana White Not Too Happy With Griffin's Antics At UFC 148
- Trainer Believes Chael Sonnen Has Fought His Last Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.