Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez understands that his path back to the title starts with Antonio Silva Saturday night. The two will be featured in the co-main event slot of UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir on pay-per-view from Las Vegas.
Velasquez was asked following a recent open workout session to give his opinion on Silva, who will be making his UFC debut. "Bigfoot" lost in his last fight, as well, to Velasquez teammate Daniel Cormier in Strikeforce.
"They're similar a little bit, but I think Silva is better all-around," said Velasquez, when comparing Silva to his original opponent, Frank Mir (thanks to Tatame.com for the quotes). "He does more kicks than Mir does, he uses his hands on his feet, good jiu-jitsu on the ground. I think Silva is more of a control guy on the ground, so he's good all-around."
Mir and Velasquez were set to compete in a No. 1 contender match, but Mir was elevated to the main event with UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos in place of Alistair Overeem. Dos Santos won the belt from Velasquez last year.
- Brian Stann Partnering With Hire Heroes USA For Memorial Day Weekend
- Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez Are Daniel Cormier's Picks For "UFC 146"
- "Titan Fighting Championships 22" Results: Ex-UFC Fighter Anthony Johnson Earns Win
- "TUF: Live" Losing Semifinalists Off Finale Card
- "Bellator 70" Results: Cole Konrad Defends Title, Rick Hawn Captures Tourney Crown
- "TUF: Live" Episode Recap: Semifinals Take Centerstage
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Weigh-In Results
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Previews And Predictions
- Video: 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Weigh-Ins
- Programming Reminder: 'UFC Primetime: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Ends Tonight
- Dana White Talks Jon Jones, Compares Him Against Anderson Silva's Professionalism
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Grants 9-Year-Old Boy His Dream
- Confident Frank Mir Prepared For "UFC 146" Main Event With Junior Dos Santos
- Cain Velasquez Offers High Praise For "UFC 146" Opponent Antonio Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.