To say UFC 137 has seen one of the oddest lead ups to fight night would be an understatement. With press conference no shows, main event changes, injuries galore and a sumo fat suit at weight in, the fighters have a lot to live up to if they want to top that.
What started out as “Champion vs. Champion” turned to “Champion vs. The Killer” but when the dust settled it ended up as “BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz”.
UFC 137: Penn vs. Diaz kicks off with four fights streaming on the UFC Fan page on Facebook.com at 3:15pm PT / 6:15pm ET. Then we move to Spike TV at 5pm PT/8pm ET with two more fights before finishing up with the five main card bouts airing on PPV at 6pm PT / 9pm ET.
Stay tuned here for up to the minute results and recap.
Preliminary card (Facebook):
185 lbs.: Clifford Starks defeated Dustin Jacoby by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Slow start to the fight as the two UFC newcomers get a feel for the big show. Some nice exchanges as the round nears the end plus a slick takedown from Starks. Jacoby looks much more comfortable on his feet then Starks, who is throwing mainly just the right hand. Starks gets another takedown with just under two minutes to easily win the round. Final round was very similar to round two except Starks got the takedown much earlier.
185 lbs.: Francis Carmont defeated Chris Camozzi by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Good back and forth round, Carmont gets a takedown in the round along with landing some good knees. In round two Camozzi puts Carmont against the cage but really doesn’t do much damage. Carmont picks up Camozzi and slams him down hard, then follows it up with some good ground and pound. Camozzi’s face is busted up heading into round three and Carmont is looking very confident and that almost cost him when Camozzi almost locks in a kimura with just seconds left.
155 lbs.: Ramsey Nijem defeated Danny Downes by Unanimous Decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27)
- Early takedown from Nijem and then follows it up with another takedown. Nijem takes the back on Downes and looking to choke him out, but Downes defends and survives. Downes has his opponent in trouble early in round two but let’s Nijem out of it and finds himself in trouble the remainder of the round. Nijem is in full control and has Downes in defensive mode for the majority of the fight. Dominate performance from Nijem!
205 lbs.: Brandon Vera defeated Eliot Marshall by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- All standing in the opening round, lots of clinch work and it was Marshall who actually stunned Vera. Vera gets a takedown in round two and controls Marshall the majority of the round against the cage. Marshall huts Vera early in round three and hurts him again but Vera clinches and tries to recover. Marshall gets Vera down and gets his back with 90 seconds left, looking for the choke. When it’s not there he moves to an armbar that looks deep but somehow Vera doesn’t tap and the fight comes to an end. Note: The armbar broke the arm of Vera, according to Vera after the fight.
Preliminary card (Spike TV):
149lbs.: Bart Palaszewski defeated Tyson Griffin by 1st rd KO
- Griffin missed weight for this fight and looked a little flat out there. Palaszewski landed a left hook to the temple that hurt Griffin; he then followed it up with a flurry that finished off Griffin.
155 lbs.: Donald Cerrone defeated Dennis Siver by 1st rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Cerrone comes out fast, lands a big head kick that had Siver grabbing for legs. It looks like Siver recovers but another big shot has Silver stumbling all over the place. Cerrone moves in an chokes out the German.
Main card (Pay-per-view):
145 lbs.: Hatsu Hioki defeated George Roop by Split Decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
135 lbs.: Scott Jorgensen defeated Jeff Curran by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
265 lbs.: Roy Nelson defeated Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic by 3rd rd. TKO
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo defeated Matt Mitrione by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-28, 29-28)
170 lbs.: Nick Diaz defeated B.J. Penn by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-28)
Final Note: It appears that both Mirko Crop Cop and BJ Penn are retiring after their defeats tonight……..
- UFC 137 Bold Predictions & “The Hammer” Giveaway
- Shark Fights 20 Results
- UFC 102 Predictions
- Ultimate Fight Night 19 Predictions
- Bellator 52 Heavyweight Tournament Quarterfinal Results
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.