Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia seemed destined to face Daniel Cormier in Strikeforce later this year. However, as soon as word of a Sylvia-Cormier match began to carry, it was announced that Frank Mir would face Cormier.
The news hit Sylvia hard, as he felt like this was his opportunity to get back in the UFC. Instead, he will face Andrei Arlovski for a fourth time later this month at ONE FC 5 in the Philippines.
Sylvia (31-7) has won three straight fights, including two by TKO. He was a recent guest on The MMA Hour where he talked about the Cormier bout and gave his take on what would happen if he ever meet "DC" inside the cage.
"I think they'd (the UFC) like to see Daniel win and I think he beats Frank, but he would lose to me," Sylvia said. "Frank is definitely better on the ground than I am, but I think my takedown defense and my striking ability would make a tougher fight for 'DC' definitely."
Cormier won the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix earlier this year, defeating Josh Barnett. There has been no announcement for when the Cormier-Mir fight will take place, though later this year seems to be in the cards.
- Strikeforce Adds Pair Of Bouts To September Event
- Three New Matches Announced For UFC On FX: Browne Vs. Bigfoot
- Jay Hieron Had No Second Thoughts About Taking Jake Ellenberger Match At UFC 151
- Tim Sylvia Believes He Would Defeat Daniel Cormier
- Shogun Rua On Brandon Vera Fight: "I Know I Could’ve Been More Prepared"
- Cody McKenzie Already Calls Out Frankie Edgar For His Featherweight Debut
- Ed Soares Says Anderson Silva Has "Never Turned Down A Fight"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.