Thiago Tavares (17-4-1) was as shocked as everyone else that UFC 151 was cancelled and first heard of the news through Twitter. He was slated to fight Dennis Hallman (51-12-2-1 NC) on the card.
"I read it on Paula [Sack's] Twitter and I thought 'no, it can't be true,'" Tavares told TATAME. "Later I got an e-mail from the UFC telling me it was cancelled. They haven't said anything else yet. I called my manager Alex Davis and he said we'll be hearing from them soon."
The fight went from the main card of UFC 151 to the preliminary of UFC on FX, set for October 5.
"I'm well trained and I've never felt so great in my entire career," Tavares. "I've evolved a lot technical and physically. I'm the best fighter I've ever been. Wherever they put me it's the same."
Tavares believes that Jon Jones (16-1) shouldn't have been allowed to deny the proposed fight with Chael Sonnen (27-12-1).
"From the moment you are the holder of a UFC title you're the best fighter in the world and you ought to accept whoever the UFC tells you to fight," said Tavares. "I don't think a champion can deny a fight […] Not because other fighters depended on him, but I guess the title holder finger opponents is just wrong."
- Luke Rockhold Set To Return Sooner Than Expected
- Vitor Belfort "Joyful" To Fight Jon Jones, Blasts Fighters Who Have Become "Divas"
- Dana White Says There's Only One Difference Between Fighting Henderson And Sonnen
- Chael Sonnen Rips "Selfish Brat" Jon Jones For Refusing Fight
- Video: Bellator 73 Highlights Feature Quick Finishes
- Fear The Fighter Steps Up To Help Finance Eddie Yagin
- Joe Lauzon Requested Bout With Gray Maynard
- Cung Le Back Training, Says Foot Remains "Sore"
- Jones' Striking Coach Hints That Chael Sonnen Had Been Training For Weeks
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.