Thiago Alves was just seconds away from claiming a victory at UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann when he got caught in a guillotine choke by Martin Kampmann. "The Pitbull" believes he can learn and move on from the mistake that cost him a second consecutive victory.
"I was happy that I was able to pick him apart. That was the plan, but unfortunately in the last 48 seconds, I got caught. It's devastating," said Alves, in a post-fight interview. "I just made a mistake and paid for it."
Alves was winning the fight through two rounds, using his striking and leg kicks to batter Kampmann. However, following another strong kick, Alves shot in and left his head exposed, allowing "The Hitman" to roll over into a mounted choke and pick up the victory.
"Next, I'll regroup, go back home and get better," Alves said. "I know I'm better than this, but unfortunately I got caught. That's life."
Check out the complete interview in the video below.
- Ronda Rousey On Tate: “I Didn’t Feel In Danger At Any Time”
- Kampmann Knew He Needed A Finish To Beat Alves
- Nate Quarry Announces His Retirement From MMA
- Ohio Commission To Investigate Brandon Saling In Regards To Past Criminal Charges, Nazi Tattoos
- Video: Highlights From Miesha Tate-Ronda Rousey Title Fight At "Strikeforce: Tate Vs. Rousey"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.