Strikeforce No. 1 contender Tim Kennedy has an upcoming bout for the Strikeforce middleweight title with Luke Rockhold set for July 14. The fight will headline Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy from Portland, Oregon and air live on Showtime.
During a recent conference call, Kennedy was asked about his desire to return to an active military life, but for now, is focused completely on his MMA training. Kennedy served and earned the rank of Staff Sergeant while in the U.S. Army.
"It's always weighing heavily on me, but this is what I said I wanted to do and I have dedicated myself to this," Kennedy said. "I want to accomplish as much as I can before I move on."
Kennedy mentioned that while many feel the wars are winding down, friends of his are still being lost in foreign nations, saying, "I have a lot of friends in Africa right now. Wars are kind of slowing down in Iraq and Afghanistan, but (they are still going on)."
Plans were for Kennedy and Rockhold to meet earlier, but a toe injury suffered in training kept Kennedy out. He has since had surgery and is 100-percent recovered and ready to go.
"I was sparring, my left toe slipped (between the cracks in the mats), I threw a hard left-hook, the toe stayed, my foot moved and it pretty much tore off my left (big) toe," Kennedy said. "I had surgery to get it put back on. I took three weeks off with no weight-barring on it. Six weeks later, I was able to start training again."
- Video: Trailer For MMA-Centered Film "Here Comes The Boom" Released
- Alistair Overeem Discusses His Suspension On "UFC Tonight"
- Terry Etim Out, Joe Lauzon Awaits New Opponent For "UFC On FOX 4"
- Pre-Fight Trash Talk By Anderson Silva Doesn't Bother Chael Sonnen
- BJ Penn Requests VADA Testing For Fight With Rory MacDonald
- Video: Vitor Belfort Has Pins Removed From Hand After Surgery
- Pat Schilling Released By UFC
- Vitor Belfort Looking Towards A Future At Light Heavyweight
- Dana White Expecting UFC 100-Like Numbers For UFC 148