While not in a rush to be champion, Erick Silva (15-2-1 NC) feels a victory in his next fight will put him close to the welterweight title. First, he has to defeat Jon Fitch (23-4-1-1 NC).
"I'm sure that right after this fight, after I beat him up, I'll figure on the top of the division," said Silva.
For Silva to secure a win over Fitch, he sees it has a valuable way to earn more experience.
"I'm not in a hurry to fight for the belt because I wanna earn more experience," said Silva. "After this fight and another one I will have the confidence for when I fight for the title. I will be sure [to] leave the Octagon with the belt on my waist. I'm getting prepared for that, so I'm not really worried about that now."
Silva is 2-1 since debuting for the UFC a year ago and Fitch is coming off a 12 second loss to Johny Hendricks (13-1).
Silva and Fitch will fight at UFC 153 on October 13.
- Chael Sonnen Will Face Forrest Griffin In December
- Video: Preview For Second Episode Of "All Access: Ronda Rousey"
- Brian Stann Fires Back At Alexander Shlemenko's Comments
- Alexander Shlemenko Says UFC Fighters Use Injury To Dictate Fights, Calls Out Brian Stann
- ONE FC Releases Complete Fight Card For Next Event
- Bellator Title Fight Between Pat Curran-Patricio Freire Off
- Experience Comes First, Then Championship Gold For Erick Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.