Despite having a legion of fans and putting on some of the most consistently entertaining bouts in the promotion's history, Roy "Big Country" Nelson can't seem to find himself in the good graces of UFC president Dana White.
Instead of just letting the man spread his wings, White criticizes Nelson for his slovenly appearance and continually implores him to lose weight, or take the sport more seriously. According to a report by MMAWeekly, White and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta sat Nelson down for a stern discussion in that regard prior to his UFC 146 bout against Dave Herman.
"We had a conversation with him," White said of Nelson, before offering the fighter begrudging respect. "I've said it a million times, I've said it to him and I'll say it again in public, I respect him, he's got an incredible chin, he's got punching power, and I always talk about him taking his career serious and not training in his garage, and being in really good shape. The guy is tough."
At UFC 146, sporting his mullet-beard combo and proudly displaying his slightly-diminished gut, Nelson starched Herman with a quickness and moved over to the cage to offer his employers a few choice words.
"That was Roy Nelson's f*ck you to me and Lorenzo," said White. "Did you see him come over and yell at us after the fight? It was."
Well, what do you guys think? Should DFW back off and let Nelson be his own man, or does he have a right to try and get him to tailor his appearance/approach to MMA? Sound off in the comments section below.
- Dan Hardy: “I Feel Like That Was My UFC Debut”
- UFC's Alan Belcher Gives Webinar For Leglock Defense
- Mayhem Miller Talks Backstage Incident, Retirement
- Report: Anderson Silva Has Injured His Knee
- Video: Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic Wins By KO At K-1 Rising
- Big Country Sticks It To Bosses With UFC 146 Win
- Alistair Overeem Likely To Remain Top Contender After Suspension
- Dana White Confirms Nottingham Fight Card
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir Highlights
- Dana White Talks Arianny Celeste's Arrest
- Video: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva Highlights
- Dana White Hints At Brock Lesnar's Return
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller Cut From UFC
- Vitor Belfort Out Of UFC 147 With Broken Hand
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Live Gate And Attendance
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.