According to an interview Wrestling Observer reporter Dave Meltzer gave to BloodyElbow.com recently, Strikeforce fighters Ronda Rousey, Gilbert Melendez and Luke Rockhold all have contracts tying them to the promotion. The deals were secured by Showtime when they worked out a new television contract recently with the fight promotion.
Meltzer said that the deals would keep the fighters on the list from signing with the UFC even if their contracts with Strikeforce expired. The only way they could go to the UFC is if Showtime were to stop televising MMA.
"They made this list of guys and they said 'these are our guys' and, even if their contract expires, they can't move to UFC," Meltzer said. "That's part of their deal with keeping this alive."
Nothing has been confirmed by the fighters, Strikeforce, Showtime or the UFC on this matter. Meltzer, himself, has come under fire by UFC president Dana White several times on his reporting.
- Report: Ulysses Gomez To Sign With UFC, Face Jussier Da Silva
- Glover Teixeira Not Backing Down From Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
- Jon Jones Preparing Well For Dan Henderson's Deadly "H-Bomb"
- Bellator Returning To New Jersey For Bellator 74
- Change In Opponent Doesn't Concern Tim Boetsch
- Luke Rockhold Wants His Shot At Anderson Silva
- Urijah Faber Says Bout With Renan Barao Is "Personal"
- Nate Marquardt: "I Feel Like I'm The Best In The World"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.