Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin believes he can knock off a few of these young prospects and secure another meeting with current UFC 185-pound champion Anderson Silva. Franklin, however, seems destined to face Cung Le later this year at UFC on FUEL TV 6 when the UFC debuts in China.
While Franklin is fine with the match vs. Le, he doesn't believe the bout moves him forward in the division. The two were set to meet earlier this year, but Franklin opted into a match with Wanderlei Silva.
"Down the road, I'm looking for a title shot, and I don't necessarily think a win over Cung will put me in that immediate title mix," said Franklin, during a recent appearance on Inside MMA. "I still think the UFC is going to make me beat one of the top-five guys that are there now."
Franklin mentioned the likes of Michael Bisping, Brian Stann and Chris Weidman as a future opponent to earn himself a shot at Silva. He also said competing in Macau, China, "was a really exciting possibility to me, so I'm open to it."
Le's injured foot could also hamper the bout-making decision, as the former Strikeforce champion is currently rehabbing from an injury suffered in his win over Patrick Cote.
- Alan Belcher Accepts Vitor Belfort's Challenge
- Michael Bisping Happy To Be Fighting Brian Stann On Neutral Territory
- Rory MacDonald "Excited" To Be Fighting In Canada Again
- Joseph Benavidez Not Amused By Michael Bisping's Comments
- Dominick Cruz Wants To Fight Soon, But Leaving That In Hands Of Professionals
- UFC 152 Receives Welterweights Seth Baczynski, Simeon Thoresen
- Jacob Volkmann-Shane Roller Added To UFC 151
- Chael Sonnen Tries To "Encourage" Urijah Faber
- Rory MacDonald Planning To Hurt BJ Penn
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline