Ricardo Lamas may have entered UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida as an unknown, but that isn't the case any longer. Lamas used several deep guillotine choke attempts to secure a decision victory over Hatsu Hioki.
Hioki had been offered a title shot against UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, but turned it down because he felt like another fight was needed inside the Octagon. Well, that shot is likely off the table for the extended future.
"It's surreal," Lamas said. "I hurt my rib three weeks ago and couldn't train at all. I had to rehab it."
Lamas (12-2) has won his last three fights, adding the win over Hioki to victories against Cub Swanson and Matt Grice since joining the UFC in 2011.
"I've been fighting for Zuffa for three years, and not too many people know me," Lamas said. "Now, they will. I will fight anybody who brings me closer to that title."
The loss was the first for Hioki (26-5-2) since 2009. He had won his previous two UFC bouts by decision.
- Super Fight League Inks Jeff Monson, Sokoudjou, Others To Contracts
- Josh Thomson Eying Summer Return To The Cage
- "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Attendance
- "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Fight Night Bonuses
- Rich Franklin Spoils Wanderlei Silva's Brazilian Homecoming
- UFC 147: Wanderlei Silva Vs. Rich Franklin
- Cezar Ferreira Earns Middleweight "TUF: Brazil" Crown
- UFC 147: Cezar Ferreira Vs. Sergio Moraes
- Rony Mariano Bezerra Becomes First "TUF: Brazil" Champion
- UFC 147: Godofredo Pepey Vs. Rony Jason
- Fabricio Werdum Crushes Mike Russow In His Return To Brazil
- UFC 147: Fabricio Werdum Vs. Mike Russow
- UFC 147: Yuri Alcantara Vs. Hacran Dias