Renan Barao's (29-1-1 NC) coach André Pederneiras prefers that the interim bantamweight champion wait until Dominick Cruz (19-1) returns from injury, but whatever UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby decides is fine with him. Dana White recently suggested having Barão defend his title since Cruz is still out with an ACL injury.
"If I had a choice, I would rather Renan fight Dominick but I don't want to wait too long," said Pederneiras to MMA Junkie.
A fight with Michael McDonald (15-1) has been hinted at and Pederneiras liked the idea. There was no date on the rumored fight.
"I think his game is a good game for Renan," said Pederneiras.
The returns of Barão and Cruz remain unknown.
- Alistair Overeem-Antonio Silva Official For UFC 156
- Fuel TV To Present "Training Day: The Blackzilians" On Wednesday
- Former WEC Announcer Joe Martinez To Handle UFC On FX 6 Duties
- New Bellator Rule Introduced For Championship Fights
- Two Championships To Be Decided At BAMMA 11
- Luke Rockhold Confirms Hand Injury, Shoots On Lorenz Larkin
- WSOF Pays Pulled Fighter Fabio Mello
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.