Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) might not be the favorite when he takes on Jon Jones (17-1), but one UFC Hall of Famer thinks the underdog has what it takes to pull off the win. Randy Couture (19-11) thinks Sonnen wins the fight because of his wrestling style.
"I think Chael has a great opportunity to win this fight, actually," said Couture on MMA Uncensored.
Couture used Sonnen's championship fights against Anderson Silva (33-4) to support his claim. Silva defeated Sonnen twice, but in at least one of those fights the Sonnen's wrestling helped him almost secure a win.
"Technically, I see a similar style fight as Anderson Silva," said Couture. "If he wades through it and can make Jon Jones wrestle him, I think he can win that. I think he can do it, but he needs to make it a wrestling match, start to finish."
When Jones declined to fight Sonnen on eight days notice at UFC 151, Couture thinks that made the fight unavoidable. UFC 151 was cancelled as a result of Jones not accepting the fight.
"This is a business, and Chael Sonnen is gonna bring it and hype up any single fight he's in," said Couture. "I think Jon Jones, in denying him the fight on eight days notice, made it inevitable that they were gonna have to fight at some point."
Sonnen and Jones will coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. The two will fight for the light heavyweight championship in April, where Jones will be looking for fifth title defense.
- Josh Koscheck Reports Possible Nick Diaz Fight
- Gilbert Melendez Could Go To UFC "Anytime" Says Cesar Gracie
- UFC On Fox 5 Loaded With 13 Bouts
- Change Made To UFC 154 Fight Card Lineup
- WSOF Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz Promises Every Card Will Be Packed With Action
- Strikeforce’s Evangelista Santos Jumps Ship To Legacy FC
- Tim Gorman Goes From Bar Fighter To Championship Contender
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.