Pat Healy (28-16) heard like everyone else that the upcoming Strikeforce event was cancelled because of an injury sustained by the lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2). The timing was awful for Healy, who was set to challenge for the championship in the main event.
"I found out basically when everyone else did," said Healy on Inside MMA Live. "I was so disappointed. I worked so hard for this. Gone through many tough times in my career, different organizations and I finally feel like I have a home with Strikeforce. It's like everything was coming together and I was devastated."
Healy earned the championship shot by winning his last seven fights for Strikeforce. His future championship opportunity is uncertain, but Healy feels he's still the No. 1 contender.
"I earned my shot and they gave it to me, so I don't think they're going to take it away from me just cause Gilbert got injured at the last minute," said Healy.
- Submission Specialist Paul Sass Wants To Be The First To Submit Matt Wiman
- Dan Henderson Would Take Fight With GSP If Offered
- UFC Planning Regular Dates For Montreal, Toronto Cards
- Matt Hughes To Remain A Member Of The UFC
- Nick Diaz Seeking Another Overturn Of Suspension
- Stefan Struve Not Worried About Getting Knocked Out By Stipe Miocic
- Bellator 74 Weigh-In Results, All Fighters Make Weight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.