Now that it appears Gilbert Melendez (21-2) will remain on the injured list, his lightweight championship fight against Pat Healy (28-16) remains unknown for the second time. From a personal recording device, someone asked Healy for his reaction as the news broke and uploaded it to the Official BJ Penn YouTube channel.
"I just hope that the fight still goes on," said Healy. "Nothing has been confirmed at this point. I'd rather fight in the UFC. That's what I want."
Healy vs. Melendez were set to headline the September 29 Strikeforce card. After Melendez was injured, the entire card was scrapped. Strikeforce's next show in November was also canceled for similar reasons.
The lightweight championship was then eyed for January in a mega Strikeforce event to compensate for the previous two cancellations. The future of the fight is now in doubt as speculation is the January show will be the final one for Strikeforce.
If that does happen, it is unknown who the UFC will absorb into their roster.
- Cyborg Knew Females Would Make It To The UFC Roster
- Dan Severn’s Retirement Plan Remains The Same
- Carlos Condit Promises To Improve, Return After UFC 154 Loss
- Dana White Reiterates Plans To Make GSP-Anderson Silva Happen
- Jake Ellenberger Pleads For Match With Johny Hendricks
- Nick Diaz "Not Impressed" By GSP's Performance At UFC 154
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.