Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran has confirmed that he will not be able to make his planned title defense vs. Patricio Freire atBellator 73. Curran posted on Twitter that he fractured his orbital bone in his second-to-last sparring session.
"Sorry everyone," Curran wrote. "The fights off. Doctors said no training/working out at all for 6 weeks."
Curran (17-4) has not fought since early this year when he knocked out Joe Warren to claim the title.
He is 7-1 inside the Bellator cage.
Freire (17-1) earned his shot at the title by defeating Daniel Straus back in May of last year. He has not competed since that time.
- Chael Sonnen Will Face Forrest Griffin In December
- Video: Preview For Second Episode Of "All Access: Ronda Rousey"
- Brian Stann Fires Back At Alexander Shlemenko's Comments
- Alexander Shlemenko Says UFC Fighters Use Injury To Dictate Fights, Calls Out Brian Stann
- ONE FC Releases Complete Fight Card For Next Event
- Bellator Title Fight Between Pat Curran-Patricio Freire Off
- Experience Comes First, Then Championship Gold For Erick Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.