Nick Newell (8-0), a one armed fighter, is one win away from championship gold after he KO'd Adam Mays (6-4) at XFC 19.
"I feel like every time I go out there I show a little bit more of my game," said Newell. "I've been happy with how things have gone so far and with that knockout win on Friday night."
The fight against Mays kept Newell's undefeated alive and earned him his seventh first round victory.
"I've seen him fight before and I know he likes that overhand," said Newell. "He was going to try and go to my left side, thinking I couldn't block it or take advantage of it, but I'm good at blocking on that side. So what I did was block, uppercut and then knees. I hit it right at the beginning of the fight and at the end too, but there was no coming back the second time."
Newell's is scheduled to fight for the XFC Lightweight Championship against Eric Reynolds (15-5) on December 7.
"I've put together a pretty impressive string of performances and now I get to fight for the lightweight title in one of the biggest organizations in the world," said Newell. "It will definitely be my toughest fight to date, but I plan on coming home with win."
- Kenny Florian Believes GSP Will Return In November
- Alistair Overeem Continues To Fuel Fire With Junior Dos Santos
- Josh Koscheck Out Of UFC 151 Fight With Jake Ellenberger
- Final Ratings In For UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera
- Jon Fitch Calls BJ Penn "A Coward," Says Not Welcome At AKA
- Shawn Bunch To Debut In Bellator This November
- Lyoto Machida Doesn't Plan On Staying Quiet While Waiting For Title Shot
- No New News On Nick Diaz And His Quest To Fight Again
- No Contract Yet Between UFC-Nate Diaz, Says Cesar Gracie
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.