Looks like Nick Diaz won't be on the agenda for next week's Nevada State Athletic Commission proceedings.
The controversial welterweight was planning on appearing before the commission to make his defense against being suspended for testing positive for marijuana metabolites. Diaz popped positive for an inactive compound in marijuana following his UFC 143 tilt against Carlos Condit, indicating that his usage of the drug was out of competition. Since the fighter is legally allowed to use marijuana to treat his ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) under California state law, his team planned on arguing that the fighter had done nothing to warrant a suspension.
Despite his planned appearance, Sherdog reports that the NSAC is now saying that Diaz must tender his medical marijuana card before they'll add him to a docket to be heard. Diaz's attorney, Ross Goodman, argues that the physician's statement he provided to the NSAC that confirms Diaz's status as a medical marijuana patient is sufficient proof.
Goodman also argues that the NSAC has exceeded the 45-day limit within which to process Diaz's case, as he was initially suspended on February 22.
Having announced his retirement from MMA following that loss to Condit, Diaz is currently scheduled to face world-class grappler Braulio Estima in a jiu-jitsu superfight on May 12 in Long Beach, California.
- Video: Ronda Rousey And Nick Catone Aid NY MMA Efforts
- With Rivalry Neutered, Jones Vs. Evans Comes Down To Competition
- "Bellator 66: Aoki Vs. Alvarez" Weigh-In Results
- New York State Senate Passes MMA Legalization Bill… Again
- Video: Jon Jones Knocks Out Pale Rastafarian
- Jon Jones Vs. Rashad Evans = Spider-Man Vs. Beast
- Nick Diaz's NSAC Hearing Delayed
- Did Sugar Ray Leonard Lure BJ Penn Out Of Retirement?
- KID Yamamoto Saves Injured Man In Tokyo
- Greg Jackson Accepts Role In Evans-Jones Feud
- "UFC 145 Primetime" Episode Two Makes Dramatic Increase In Ratings
- With Issues In Brazil, Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen 2 Could Be Headed To Las Vegas
- Video: Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win At Australian MMA Event
- BJ Penn And Jens Pulver Predict UFC 145 Winner
- UFC On FUEL TV 2 Medical Suspensions
- Roland Delorme In For Injured Johnny Bedford At UFC On FOX 3
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.