Nate Diaz has been on the precipice of greatness inside the Octagon. After mixed results at welterweight, the Stockton native has come on strong and is poised to make a run at the title if he can get past Jim Miller at UFC on Fox 3.
Diaz is known for his rangy boxing and submissions skills, but he takes on an equally well-rounded opponent in Miller. A former D1 wrestler, Miller is a BJJ blackbelt and holds a number of knockouts to his name. Diaz is fully aware that he needs to be prepared to bring his best wherever the fight may go.
While Diaz's record of 15-7 does not scream UFC elite, he certainly looked the part in his most recent matchup against Donald Cerrone at UFC 141. Touted as one of the most dynamic strikers in the game, Cerrone looked like a sitting duck versus Diaz's frenetic boxing. But it's never an easy road to the top and Diaz is set to battle one of the grittiest fighters in the game.
"Sometimes you get those guys who sit there and hold on or guys who run and get away with it for five rounds or three rounds, whatever," explained Diaz. "It will be great to have someone who wants to come in and fight."
With a rematch slated between Benson Henderson and Frankie Edgar, Diaz and Miller will not get the immediate title shot Dana White originally promised. Nevertheless, the bout will be a pivotal moment in Diaz's career as he aims to become the number one contender.
It will all be decided May 5 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
- Video: Quick UFC 146 Promo
- Francisco Rivera Steps In To Face Alex Soto At UFC On FUEL TV 3
- Nevada Responds To Nick Diaz's Lawsuit
- Video: Age And Experience Will Overcome Youth And Preparation
- UFC 148 Tickets On Sale This Week
- Rampage Jackson Wants Rua Or Griffin For Final UFC Bout
- Jake Shields Vs. Ed Herman To Take Place At "UFC 150"
- Video: Dana White Blog Is Back For "UFC On FOX 3"
- Travis Browne, Ben Rothwell Added To "UFC On FOX 4" Card
- Ryan Bader Vs. Lyoto Machida Set For "UFC On FOX 4"
- Episode 8 Of "TUF: Live" Earns Lowest Ratings Yet
- Michael Bisping Vs. Tim Boetsch Removed From UFC 148
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson Unlikely To Take Place At UFC 149
- Georges St-Pierre Talks Being Bullied As A Kid
- Faber Happy To Share Spotlight With Silva And Sonnen
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.