In the latest chapter of Nick Diaz's wild and unpredictable story, the renegade Stocktonian skipped out on a planned Brazilian jiu-jitsu super-match against expert grappler Braulio Estima.
The two were scheduled to compete in a no-gi match at yesterday's inaugural World Jiu-Jitsu Expo, which went down at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California. Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, told MMAFighting that Nick was upset over Estima not making weight the night before, though the Brazilian did make weight the next morning.
"I don't know," said Gracie. "I know he was mad when he was told Braulio would not make weight last night. No one has seen him today. Braulio ended up making weight this morning."
Estima flew in from the United Kingdom to face Diaz and the two men were planning on donating their purses to charity. There are also rumors that there was some discrepancy in this regard on the promoter's behalf that further motivated Diaz to no-show his BJJ match.
Several top grapplers at the show offered to step up and take on Estima in Diaz's place, but Estima refused, stating that he flew here to face Nick Diaz and Nick Diaz alone.
Those that shelled out the $9.95 for the online pay-per-view were still treated to some top-notch grappling, even if Diaz scrapped the main event. Check out the results below:
-Jeff Glover defeated Caio Terra via points 10-6
-Kron Gracie defeated Victor Estima via one advantage
-Rafael Lovato defeated Lucas Leite via points 2-0
-Bill Cooper defeated Nino Schembri via referee's decision due to ties in points and advantages
-Kyra Gracie defeated Alexis Davis via points 5-0
- Former 'TUF' Winner James Wilks Retires From MMA
- Phil Davis, Chad Griggs Addded To 'UFC On FOX 4' Event
- Video: Dana White Discusses "UFC On FUEL TV 3," Ratings In Latest Blog
- Judge Denies Injunction Request By Nick Diaz's Camp
- Hendo On Jon Jones: "Anybody Can Be Hit"
- Nick Diaz To Cover Charity Donation Out Of Pocket
- Robert Drysdale: Frank Mir Can Out-Strike Junior Dos Santos
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Weigh-In Results
- Kimbo Slice 5-0 As A Boxer After Another Squash Match
- "UFC On Fuel TV: Korean Zombie Vs. Poirier" Final Card, Live Coverage Tomorrow
- "TUF: Brazil" Recap: Team Vitor Improves To 6-1
- Gegard Mousasi Recovering From Torn ACL
- Ex-TUF Fighter Vinny Magalhaes Puts His M-1 Global Title Up For Grabs
- Video: Wanderlei Silva Blog For "UFC 147"
- Live Video Of The UFC On FUEL Weigh-Ins At 4PM ET/1PM PT
- Dustin Poirier: "Fans Can Expect Everything From Me, Even The Kitchen Sink"
- UFC On Fuel TV 4 Gets Three More Fights
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.