This is one top 10 list that you don't want your favorite NFL team to be on. This is also a list that Roger Goodell is keeping his eye on.
Here is a list of the top 10 teams by the amount of arrests over the last 10 years. Keep in mind that if a player gets arrested 5 different times it counts as 5 arrests. However, if he was charged with 2 or more offenses, it only counts as one arrest.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Total arrests: 32
- Minnesota Vikings: Total Arrests: 30
- Denver Broncos: Total Arrests: 25
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Total Arrests: 25
- Kansas City Chiefs: Total Arrests: 25
- Miami Dolphins: Total Arrests: 25
- Tennessee Titans: Total Arrests: 25
- San Diego Chargers: Total Arrests: 23
- Cleveland Browns: Total Arrests: 20
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Total Arrests: 19
Now let's take a look at the field positions in the NFL that have had the most arrests. On average, defensive players get arrested much more often than offensive players. I guess the aggression on the field for a defensive player is hard to turn off when he is off the field. However, the one position on the field that tries to get the most camera time and celebrates the most when scoring a touchdown also spends the most time in the back of a police car.
- WR: 89 (Before his death, Chris Henry lead the WR's in this category with 6 arrests.)
- CB: 68 (Adam "Pacman" Jones leads the CB's with 6.)
- LB: 55
- RB: 53
- S: 41
- DE: 37
- DT: 32
- OT: 24
- OL: 22
- TE: 22
- DL: 14
- QB: 13 (Michael Vick with 2.)
- DB: 13
- FB: 8
- K: 8
- OG: 6
- P: 2 (Todd Sauerbrun is the only punter in the NFL to be arrested.)
- OC: 1
Total number of NFL players arrested over the last 10 years: 509
- NFL arrest database...... sort it any way you want....by team, position or name...
Maybe this is why Roger Goodell is cracking down so hard on players when they get into trouble. If you look carefully, you will notice some big names in the news that are not on it, but have been disciplined by the NFL. The most recent big name player that you will not find on the list is Big Ben Roethlisberger. The reason why you don't see his name on this list is because Roethlisberger has never actually been arrested. Another name that might be added AGAIN real soon is Michael Vick. He is currently being investigated in Virginia Beach in connection to a shooting outside a club that hosted his birthday party. Does this surprise anyone besides Tony Dungy?
For those of you who are wondering, the most common arrest is for D.U.I.; but possession of marijuana is a close second. - Bob Bearden
Bob is a regular guest contributor on sports talk radio in the Southeastern United States. Bob's views and opinions on professional and college sporting events can now be found right here on the MC3 Sports Media's family of websites.